At Oakley Home Access we are always working to find funding sources for those who need home modifications. One of the grant programs that we work with is through the Veterans Administration, called the Home Improvements and Structural Alterations Grant.
This grant provides funding for medically necessary improvements and structural alterations to Veterans or Servicemembers’ primary residence. Covered modifications can include:
- Entrance/exit from their homes
- Essential sanitary facilities (e.g. roll in showers)
- Accessible kitchen or bathroom sinks or counters (e.g. lowering counters/sinks)
- Improving entrance paths or driveways in immediate area of the home to facilitate access to the home through construction of permanent ramping
- Improving plumbing or electrical systems made necessary due to installation of home medical equipment
The grant will provide up to $6800 towards home modification depending on time served and the disability level of the veteran. This lifetime award can be divided up and used over time.
The grant process is straightforward and puts the veteran in control of the process at all times.
1. The veteran fills out a short application form.
2. We at Oakley Home Access provide the quote and pictures that are needed to be submitted with the application.
3. The veteran must see a Primary Care doctor through the VA and get a referral for as little as one Occupational Therapy session.
4. The veteran submits the paperwork and the HISA committee votes on approval.
5. Once approved and job is complete, the veteran submits form stating that the job is completed and they are satisfied.
6. The VA pays the veteran and the veteran pays the contractor.
If you know any Rhode Island veterans who might need home modifications and improvements due to service-related disability, please let them know about this program. It can make all the difference for them to improve their home’s safety and accessibility.
Oakley Home Access is committed to increasing home safety, aging in place, and home modifications for better living. Please visit our website for more information, stop by and visit our showroom at 322 S. Pier Rd. in Narragansett, RI, or call our office to speak to us directly at 401-429-3882.